This is a partial list of resources used in the historical and
geographic research for this LOTE campaign. Some of these were
used only in part, others employed repeatedly and extensively.
Thanks to Colin Dunnigan for most of the Roman references.
Further references, especially for eastern Eurasia, are always welcome.
Please contact the GM.
Internet - Generally from more to less relevant
- Adkins, Lesley and Adkins, Roy A., Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome, 1994
- Ariés, Philippe and Duby, Georges eds., A History of Private Life I: From Pagan Rome to Byzantium, 1987
- Auboyer, Jeannine, Daily Life in Ancient India, 1961
- Banks, Arthur, Atlas of Ancient and Medieval Warfare, 1973
- Barker, Phil and Bodley Scott, Richard, D.B.M Army Lists Book 2: 500 BC to 476 AD, 1998 - Army composition
- Barker, Phil and Bodley Scott, Richard, D.B.M Army Lists Book 3: 476 AD to 1071 AD, 1999 - Army composition
- Barraclough, Geoffrey, The Times History of the World, 1999
- Bayerischer Schulbuch-Verlag, Grosser Historischer Weltatlas, 1954
- Beckwith, Christopher I., The Tibetan Empire in Central Asia, 1987
- Bjørklund, Oddvar, et al., Historical Atlas of the World, 1970
- Brzezinski, R. and Mielczarek, M., The Sarmatians: 600 BC - AD 450, 2002 - Alans
- Burns, Thomas S., A History of the Ostrogoths, 1984
- Burns, Thomas S., Barbarians Within The Gates Of Rome, 1994 - Stilicho, Alarik, et al.
- Chadwick, Henry, The Early Church, 1967
- Cope, Christopher, The Lost Kingdom of Burgundy, 1986
- Dodgeon, Michael and Lieu, Samuel, The Roman Eastern Frontier and the Persian Wars (AD 226 - 363), 1995
- Elton, Hugh, Warfare in Roman Europe: AD 350-425, 1996
- Finley, M.I.The Ancient Economy, 1999 - Essential reading
- Gabriel, Richard A. and Boose, Donald W., The Great Battles of Antiquity, 1994
- Grant, Michael, Atlas of Ancient History: 1700 BC to 565 AD, 1971
- Greatrex, Geoffrey, Rome and Persia at War, 502-532, 1998
- Greer, John, The Armies and Enemies of Ancient China, 1974
- Grousset, René, The Empire of the Steppes: A History of Central Asia, 1970 - Essential
- Graff, David A., Medieval Chinese Warfare, 300 - 900, 2002
- Halewood, Phillip, Heirs of the Achaemenids, in Slingshot, V. 184-193, 1996-97, Society of Ancients
- Hammond, N., Atlas of the Greek and Roman World in Antiquity, 1988
- Haywood, John, Historical Atlas of the Classical World: 500BC - AD 600, 1998
- Heather, Peter, The Goths, 1996
- Herrmann, Albert, An Historical Atlas of China, 1966
- Jones, A. H. M., The Later Roman Empire, 1964
- Littell, Franklin Hamlin, The Macmillan Atlas History of Christianity, 1976
- MacDowall, Simon, and McBride, Angus, Germanic Warrior, 326-568 AD, 1996 - Franks, Saxons, etc.
- Majumdar, Ramesh Chandra, and Altekar, Anant Sadashiv, The Vakataka-Gupta Age: Circa 200 - 500 A.D., 1967
- Marcellinus, Ammianus, The Later Roman Empire, trans. by W. Hamilton, 1987 - Essential
- Newark, Tim, The Barbarians: Warriors and Wars of the Dark Ages, 1988
- Nicolle, David, and Mcbride, Angus, Rome's Enemies 5: The Desert Frontier, 1991
- Nicolle, David, Sassanian Armies: The Iranian Empire, early 3rd to mid-7th centuries AD, 1996
- Ostrogorsky, George, History of the Byzantine State, 1969
- Pluvier, Jan M., Historical Atlas of South-East Asia, 1995
- Porada, Edith, The Art of Ancient Iran, 1969
- Procopius, History of the Wars: Books I-II, trans. by H. B. Dewing, 1914 - Persia and more
- Ranitzsch, Karl Heinz, The Army of Tang China, 1995
- Rawlinson, George, The Seventh Great Oriental Monarchy, 1876 - Sasanian Persia
- Roth, Jonathan P., The Logistics of the Roman Army at War (264 BC - AD 235), 1999
- Schwartzberg, J., A Historical Atlas of South Asia, 1978
- Shepherd, William R., Shepherd's Historical Atlas, 1976
- Smart, Ninian, Oxford Atlas of the World's Religions, 1999
- al-Tabari, The History of al-Tabari, V. 5: The Sasanids, The Byzantines, the Lakhmids, and Yemen, trans. by C. E. Bosworth, 1999
- Todd, Malcolm, Migrants and Invaders: The Movement of Peoples in the Ancient World, 2001
- Treadgold, Warren, Byzantium and Its Army: 284-1081, 1995
- Times Books, Past Worlds: The Times Atlas of Archaeology, 1991
- Zaehner, R. C., Zurvan: A Zoroastrian Dilemma, 1972
- Atlas historique de l'Antiquité tardive - Daniel Bellemare's map site for western eurasia 380 AD - 580 AD; unfinished, mais vraiment incroyable. No French required, BTW ...
- All Empires - Database for all empires in history, probably essential.
- Internet History Sourcebooks - Prof. Paul Halsall's project, filled with great stuff.
- Wikipedia - A good resource, of course.
- Silkroad Foundation - Good resources on a great topic.
- Silk Road Seattle - Link is to historical maps, but general good resource.
- Historical and Commercial Atlas of China - Various maps of various parts of China from various periods.
- Images from History - Valuable graphical resource.
- Map of Ancient Alexandria - Important city in this game.
- Patron Saints Index for the 5th Century - Covers the whole Church, East and West, handy name source.
- Notes and Essays on DBA Armies - For lead-poisoning addicts ...
- Imperium Basileia - Need a leader name in Europe? Gracias Matt Holy.
- Regnal Chronologies - Leader names for the whole world, a great resource.
- Rome and Romania - Decent excerpts on Late Roman scene.
- Late Antiquity in the Mediterranean - Good list of resources for the period. Many links.
- Coins and History of Asia - I think they sell coins. Keen.
- International Dunhuang Project - Maps and artifacts from Kashgar to Khara-khoto. Quality.
- Ancient Japan - A particularly useful site on this topic.
- History of India
- Warfare in Ancient India - Tutorial intro on the topic.
- Asian Traditional Archery Research Network - About as keen as it gets.
- History of Iran - Decent low-budget site, but not exhaustive.
- Medieval Nubia
- General Map of Roman Provinces
- Attila and Chalons - Overview of events around the decline of Rome, Huns, and such.
- The Buddha came down to Burma - Thanks to Bryan Carter for this and the above.
- World Coin Catalog
- Society of Ancients - International society for wargaming with miniature figures
- North American Society of Ancient and Medieval Wargamers (NASAMW) - Wargaming with miniature figures in North America
- Encyclopædia Britannica search - Members only, of course.
- Wikipedia - Try it, as this may really catch on ...
- A Regional Directory of China - Search for things Chinese
- All Games List - Site listing various online games
- Random Name Generator - Scroll down to Data from real languages to make up "real" names
- Northern Light - A search engine.
- The Explorator - Weekly newsletter of links to the latest from the world of archaeology