From: Tomas <tomas986@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: VRNT (was: [CANSLIM] Stop losses and DHI)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
Next Article (by Date): FW: VRNT (was: [CANSLIM] Stop losses and DHI) "Katherine Malm"
Previous Article (by Date): RE: [CANSLIM] Distribution Day Mike
Next in Thread: Re: VRNT (was: [CANSLIM] Stop losses and DHI) Chazmoore@aol.com
Articles sorted by: [Date]
[Author]
[Subject]
Katherine, Question 4,5,6 may be hard to answer. If I add "in my watchlist" at the end of those questions, then it is easier to answer. My point is you are referring to all the stocks I am monitoring on my radar, right? I guess so, or else there's no point in asking those 3 question since there are always some better stock out there that you don't know about. 1) yes 2) yea 3) same as alway (for loss, sell at 7-8%; for win, depends on how the stock is doing). 4) hmmm, I think so... currently most of the stocks in my watchlist is extended. 5) no, not in my watchlist 6) no 7) I don't think I'm being stubborn and I don't feel like I have to prove anything with this stock. :) This stock has very good fundies, if the technical is right(market will go up), it is a good pick (IMHO). Regards, tomas - --- Katherine Malm <kmalm@earthlink.net> wrote: > Hi Tomas, > > Here are some questions you might ask in making this > kind of decision: > > (1) If I buy it back, is it a low-risk entry? > (2) If I buy it back, can I handle the price > volatility that it typically > displays? > (3) If I buy it back, what will be my exit strategy, > both for profit taking > and for cutting losses? > (4) Is this the best stock I can buy with my money? > Or, would my money be > better off in *any* other investment than this? > (This is also a good > question to ask when struggling with a sell > decision.) > (5) Are there other stocks that are either pulling > back on lower volume and > showing less volatility? > (6) Are there other stocks, equally attractive, that > are offering a low risk > entry and/or a fresh breakout? > (7) What is my real motivation for buying it back? > For example, is it > because I've answered all of the questions above and > still feel that it is > the best investment at the time? Is it because I > want to prove I was > something? Am I being smart or just stubborn? Etc. > > Questions like this force the trader to be > completely honest within > him/herself and make consistently wise and > emotionless decisions. > > Regardless of your decision, there are times where > it can take a couple of > tries with the same stock to get it "right" and that > is A-OK, as it is a > compilation of factors acting on the stock all at > the same time. On the > other hand, sometimes when breakouts are whipsawing > you one after the other, > that's a sign that the rally may be wearing thin. > One stock doesn't make a > trend, but it's something to consider. > > Katherine > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-canslim@lists.xmission.com > [mailto:owner-canslim@lists.xmission.com]On Behalf > Of Tomas > Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 7:45 PM > To: canslim@lists.xmission.com > Subject: Re: Re: [CANSLIM] Stop losses and DHI > > > VRNT is back to a little above the pivot point. > Should I buy it back? Or should I wait for a few > days > and see what the market is doing. The market seems > to > be at a critical point where it is deciding if it > will > head north or south. > > What is the rule for buying back a stock that had > such > a big dip 2 days after the BO with big volume, but > is > now gaining back ground? Is the big dip a red flag > enough to stay way from this stock? > > With this stock, I feel like I am currently going > through a common mistake made by newbie. > > You experience investors better stop me if I am > going > to make a big mistake buying this stock back. :) > > tomas > > --- Bill Triffet <btriffet@earthlink.net> wrote: > > Hi Tomas, > > > > I think you partially answered yourself here. Had > > you bought it on the day > > of the breakout 6/3 you'd still be in (maybe...). > > > > Unfortunately VRNT gapped up the next day. I'd > just > > pass on it and wait for > > a pullback which it did on 6/6. The huge volume of > > the pullback though was a > > red flag to me. I might have sold it even if I got > > it in the range due to > > that. Also given the fact I've been using 7% > > stop-losses, I'd have been > > stopped out as well. > > > > Btw, I never use overnight buy orders as there's > > just too much volatility in > > the first 30min. Also, I want to see the price as > I > > buy it. > > > > In the past I've used buy-limit orders for stocks > I > > felt were ready to > > breakout. The issue there was to make sure it had > > enough projected volume > > for the day. If it closed up but on low volume I'd > > almost always have to > > sell the next day. For this reason I just stick > to > > market orders for buys. > > The trick is to get some free time during the work > > day to "sneak a peek" at > > my watchlist. > > > > -- > > Bill > > > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Tomas" <tomas986@yahoo.com> > > To: <canslim@lists.xmission.com> > > Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 7:59 PM > > Subject: Re: Re: [CANSLIM] Stop losses and DHI > > > > > > > Bill, > > > > > > I did not buy DHI, but had a position on VRNT, > > which > > > went down 12% last Friday(no stop loss order in > > > place). I sold the stock this morning and > > actually > > > walked away with a 18% lost. Post analysis: > > > > > > 1) BO on 6/3 with close $24.37 (Pivot point at > > > $23.95). Put an order to buy on 6/3 that night. > > 6/4 > > > morning, order execute at $26.21 (about 9% above > > pivot > > > point + .10). Bought extended, should have put > a > > > limit order instead of a market order? But, if > > use > > > market order sometime will miss the boat on a > good > > > stock... > > > > > > 2) On 6/6, stock went down $2.99. Sold today at > > > $21.53. Should have put a stop order when I > > bought > > > it? Probably. > > > > > > Final note, if I bought it right, at pivot point > + > > > $.10, then I would still be in the stock today. > > It > > > never actually go below the 8%. I guess my > > trigger > > > finger is too slow, and need to be faster next > > time... > > > > > > So, this is why I am trying to figure out what > > kind of > > > orders (stop/lost, market, limit,...) I need to > do > > for > > > buys and sells. It's kind of though, since > every > > kind > > > of order has its pro's and con's. > > > > > > > > > Regards, > > > tomas > > > > > > > > > --- Bill Triffet <btriffet@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > > Tomas, > > > > To this day the main rule I've never disagreed > > with > > > > WON has been "preservation of capital". " Live > > to > > > > trade another day" is the way to go. > > > > > > > > Appling a trailing stop after you've made some > > gains > > > > may knock you out of the stock. Maybe it > > continues > > > > on up after that. Maybe not. The point is you > > live > > > > to trade another day. > === message truncated === __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM). http://calendar.yahoo.com - - - -To subscribe/unsubscribe, email "majordomo@xmission.com" - -In the email body, write "subscribe canslim" or - -"unsubscribe canslim". Do not use quotes in your email.
Next Article (by Date): FW: VRNT (was: [CANSLIM] Stop losses and DHI) "Katherine Malm"
Previous Article (by Date): RE: [CANSLIM] Distribution Day Mike
Next in Thread: Re: VRNT (was: [CANSLIM] Stop losses and DHI) Chazmoore@aol.com
Articles sorted by: [Date]
[Author]
[Subject]