From: Spencer48@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CANSLIM] AAII letter to the editor
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:13:33 EDT
Next Article (by Date): Re: [CANSLIM] Lessons Learned - 2 BO Failures Today "Frik Lebom"
Previous Article (by Date): RE: [CANSLIM] Market Trend Charts Dave Stem
Articles sorted by: [Date]
[Author]
[Subject]
Hong:
I read Katherine's answer to you right after I sent the E-mail. I
though you were asking this question: Since stocks sometimes come back, why should
I sell after a 7-8% loss-if I believe the stock I'm holding will come back?
However, after reading Katherine's answer, I think your question
concerned: Should I hold the stock on a pullback, even though it loses 7-8% on its
pullback? I agree completely with the relevant portion of Katherine's E-mail:
"...A
pullback entry is one in which one waits for a stock to pull back to near
term support, but there is not necessarily a lengthy consolidation at that
particular support. If the stock falls on high volume below that support,
there's trouble in River City. 8% may be *way* too loose a stop. Afterall,
one can still lose their shirt 8% at a time."
My answer to your specific question are below (I'll use ALL CAPS to
distingush my answer from your question):
In a message dated 7/15/2003 9:02:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
honghsu@bellatlantic.net writes:
<< that stock will most probably not come back-even taking into account
that some stocks >do come back after losing more than 7-8%. ( I MEANT
THAT IF THE STOCK FALLS 7-8% FROM THE BO POINT IT PROBABLY WILL NOT BO AGAIN, IE.
WE ARE DEALING WITH A FAILED BO. HOWEVER, IF YOU BUY AFTER THE BO POINT, A
GOOD STOCK MAY FALL OVER 7-8%, BECAUSE YOU BOUGHT IT AT THE INCORRECT PIVOT
POINT)
jans,
I appreciate your response. I am not sure I understand your
comments completely. Take an example if I may ...
Let's assume a stock has solid fundies and it breakout with huge volume
from sound base. One week after the BO, it gained 20%. Next two day
or three, it gains another 5%. At this point I am facing a decision:
Take profit OR hold it to shoot 40% gain. By holding it, the stock
may end up with 14% gain. By same token, if the stock reached 40% gain,
then you have to decide either to take profit or shoot 60%. Again by
shooting 60% gain, you have possibility to end up with 30% gain because
of volatile.
Do you think once a stock lost 7-8%, it will not able to reach new
higher? Usually how long you are willing to hold a stock which made
30% gain within 4 weeks from BO? (MAYBE I'M MISUNDERSTANDING YOUR QUESTION,
BUT A STOCK THAT IS BOUGHT AT THE CORRECT PIVOT POINT AND THEN BREAKS OUT AND
THEN FALLS 7-8% IS AN EXAMPLE OF A STOCK THAT HAS JUST ENGAGED IN A FAILED
BREAKOUT. AS KATHERINE SUGGESTS, IF THE STOCK THAT IS PURCHASED ON THE
PULLBACK, FALLS BELOW ITS SUPPORT LINE [WHETHER IT BE THE 50DMA OR A TRENDLINE], AND
ESPECIALLY IF THE FALL IS ON HIGH VOLUME, I'D SELL IT.
AS FOR GAINING A LOT [APPROX. 40% OR 20%] IN A FEW DAYS, WON SAYS TO HOLD
SUCH A STOCK FOR AT LEAST 8 WEEKS [UNLESS YOU SEE DEFINITE SELL SIGNALS IN THE
STOCK OR IN THE MARKET]. MOST BIG WINNERS BEGIN, ACCORDING TO WON, THIS WAY,
IE. THEY MAKE A LARGE % INCREASE IN A SHORT TIME, AND THEN DIGEST THEIR GAINS BY
CONSOLIDATING OR MAKING A PULLBACK.)
jans
- -
- -To subscribe/unsubscribe, email "majordomo@xmission.com"
- -In the email body, write "subscribe canslim" or
- -"unsubscribe canslim". Do not use quotes in your email.
Next Article (by Date): Re: [CANSLIM] Lessons Learned - 2 BO Failures Today "Frik Lebom"
Previous Article (by Date): RE: [CANSLIM] Market Trend Charts Dave Stem
Articles sorted by: [Date]
[Author]
[Subject]