My amateur telescope
The "Deep Space Scope"
Home | Astronomy |
DS-3 | Mirror box construction
Mirror box and back plate of the mirror box. Left picture bottom is
towards bearings, right picture top
towards the bearings.
The mirror box is made from 7 pieces of plywood.
- 2 pieces of plywood 15 1/2" X 15 1/2",
glued together. Mark the center. Use the router circle
cutter to cut a 13" circle through this 1" material. This gives
us about 1/2" of air flow around the primary mirror for
and don't burn your router bits. This is the top.
- 1 piece of plywood 15 1/2" X 15 1/2". This is the bottom.
- 2 pieces of plywood 15 1/2" X 2 1/2". Two sides.
- 2 pieces of plywood 14 1/2" X 2 1/2". Two sides.
- If necessary, trim up the sides to be
the same size using the sander.
- If necessary, trim up the top and bottom to be
the same size with the sander.
- Glue the sides to the top.
- Screw the bottom to the sides. I
used 8 1" screws, countersunk.