We Are Related
An Introduction to Digital Roots
© copyright 2004 by Gerhard Ruf
updated 21 April 2004
This new web site, run by the Computer Science department at BYU,
provides unique services. It uses the LDS Church’s AncestralFile(tm) to determine
if those who provide the necessary information are related to others. With the
Relationship Finder service you may be able to determine how you are related to
prominent LDS, United States and European men and women. This service also allows
you to set up a group to determine how you are related to each other. The One Page
Genealogy service lets you setup and purchase a large multi-generation pedigree
chart from a GEDCOM file.
A. Relationship Finder (access from the Relationship Finder tab)
To use the relationship finder you must set up an account, find
yourself and/or some of your ancestors in the AncestralFile(tm), enter the Ancestral
File Numbers (AFNs) to identify yourself, and request reports. You may also join an
existing group or set up a group for others to join.
- Setting up an account (Join)
- provide some personal identifying information
- select a username (must be unique in the system)
and a password
- Checking for AFNs in FamilySearch at a Family History Center
- AncestralFile(tm) is the only online collection that has connected everyone
- has some errors
- AncestralFile(tm) at a Family History Center
- includes ‘living’ individuals
- AncestralFile(tm) online at www.familysearch.org
- Enter the AFN’s that pertain to you and/or your ancestral lines (AFN Info)
- only use those AFNs that begin a string of ancestors
- you must enter the hyphen after the fourth character
- Requesting reports
- may request from a selection of reports
- Viewing reports
- may be viewed or downloaded in various formats
- You may join existing groups
- you may want to join the OremUtahStake or the LakeridgeNorthStake group
- the password to join either group is - wearerelated
- You may also create a group for your anyone who may be interested
- Examples: a ward, a Sunday school class, or a group of employees
- the person creating the group can also enter individuals manually
- invite individuals to join the group by creating their own accounts first
- any member of a group with an account can request reports and view them
B. One Page Genealogy (access from teh One Page Genealogy tab)
The two different formats of pedigree charts that this service
sells are created by your first making a GEDCOM file, downloading and installing a
program from the web site, running the GEDCOM file through this program and then
sending the resulting file to the service along with credit card payment. The chart
will me mailed to you.
- Create a GEDCOM file in PAF or other program.
- follow the instructions in your genealogy program
- Download the GEDCOM to PDF conversion program from the web site.
- The installation will create a One Page Genealogy icon on your PC desktop.
- Run the One Page Genealogy Program
- Identify the GEDCOM file by clicking on File and selecting Open and then
browsing to the filename in the folder where you saved it.
- Identify the beginning person for the pedigree chart.
- Select how many generations of ancestors and descendants to include.
- Check the font and minimum and maximum font sizes.
- Choose the Standard or Timeline format.
- Check if you want to include the spouse of the root person.
- Check if you want to include all descendants of the root person.
- Select the Portrait or Landscape Orientation for the chart.
- Select the paper width and height and margins.
- After creating the PDF file, view the file to see if it is what you expected.
- Purchase the printed output
- the purchase process requires a credit card, but uses a secure server
- the process includes the upload of the PDF file you created above
- make sure you know the filename and its location
- the standard price is $19.99 per chart plus $7 shipping and handling
- you can purchase multiple charts at the same time (saves on shipping)
Go to list of classes.
Return to Gerhard & Deon's Home page.
This page has been accessed times since 22 Apr 04.