- Lessons and Research Guides
- Guide to Tracing Your Family Tree (31 lessons at RootsWeb)
- Research Helps and Research Guidance at familysearch.org
http://www.familysearch.org/ Search tab, then Research Helps or Research Guidance
- Newsletters - RootsWeb Review (weekly updates with success stories and new acquisitions)
http://e-zine.rootsweb.com (more than 1,000,000 subscribers)
- Other Useful Web Sites
- Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter (keep up to date with technology in family history)
- Using Google.com to Find Genealogical Information -
- Basic Searching
- Use + attached to the front of words or phrases to indicate they MUST be present
- Use - attached to the front of words or phrases to DISALLOW them in the search results
- - example: +george +kodak -film -camera
- Use ~ (tilde) attached to the front of a word to find synonyms of that word
- - example: ~genealogy
- Use OR between words or phrases to allow for variations in names
- - example: Dorothea Daeublin OR Taeublin
- Use ..between numbers to find any number in the range
- - example: 1820..1830
- Use quotation marks to offset a phrase that must be exact
- - example: "George Kodak" or "George J. Kodak" or "Kodak, George"
- Google does not care if you use upper and/or lower case letters in search terms. The site
does not allow the use of asterisks (*).
- These techniques can also be used on the Advanced Search screen.
If you have questions or comments please contact me at
Return to list of classes page.
Return to Gerhard and Deon's Home Page.
This page was last updated 14 Aug 05.
It has been accessed () times.