USING WORLDCONNECT at ROOTSWEB to PUBLISH and BACKUP YOUR FAMILY HISTORY DATA
by Gerhard Ruf, firstname.lastname@example.org
COPYRIGHT 2008 - 2011
updated 5 Mar 2011
This class will introduce you to the
WorldConnect database and how to use it to publish and backup your
genealogical data. WorldConnect is the second largest and oldest collection of
genealogical data submitted by individuals. We will review details about
the extensive tools provided to limit the data that will be displayed and
limit the ability of others to download it.
A FINAL THOUGHT
- What is WorldConnect (WC) and how is it viewed?
- WC started accepting GEDCOM files in Nov 1999.
- It is a collection of databases contributed by individuals, which includes
more than 640 million individuals.
- The collection has grown at more than 3 million names per month over
the past 5 years.
- If you submit your family history data, it will help others working on common
ancestral lines find you.
- Even if you don't submit your family history, it will allow you to find others
working on common ancestral lines.
- Search WC from the Family Trees tab on most screens at RootsWeb.com,
- or go there directly at
here using WC Advanced Search (no wild cards allowed),
- or use wild cards and search in the same database called Ancestry World Tree
- Why Publish Your Data?
- Share your genealogical data (especially if it's well researched)
- Find others working on common ancestral lines
- Find lost cousins for a family reunion
- Bring the family closer together
- Publishing on the Web is not permanent. It may be easily updated, or removed.
- Make data available beyond the death of the submitter.
- Why use WorldConnect to Publish and Backup your data?
- WC builds your web pages for you from a GEDCOM file you create and submit.
- Web pages are created and placed on line right after your submission.
- WC is reindexed nightly, so others can find you quickly.
- You can replace or delete your GEDCOM file (and its web pages) at any time.
- You have many options to determine which of your data is displayed.
- You can retrieve the GEDCOM file you submitted at any time.
- You control if others can download all, portions, or none of your data.
- You retain the copyright of your data.
- There Are Two Ways to Contribute to WorldConnect
- The original method is accessed from the "Click here" link on the Family Trees tab at RootsWeb.com.
- Assign a name and password to the tree you want to upload and create,
- or provide the name and password of the tree you previously created and
now want to control.
- The Standard option has 14 settings.
- The Advanced option has 36 settings.
- The new method (since Fall 2007) is accessed from the "Start Here" link on the Family Trees tab.
- (Once a tree has been created you can also access its controls from the My Account page.)
- If you are not logged into an account, it asks you to login
or create a free account.
- (You can use an Ancestry.com login account.)
- It lists the tree IDs and their titles that you've already submitted.
- You can also start a submission by providing a tree ID and Title.
- Most of the advanced options are accesible on four screens.
- Additional control options are provided.
- New Method - Display Options:
- Bold Names
- Uppercase Surnames
- Default Pedigree Style
- Default Pedigree Depth
- Max Pedigree Depth
- Max Register Depth
- Max Ahnentafel Depth
- Homepage URL
- Homepage Title (HTML is allowed)
- Page Heading (HTML is allowed)
- Page Footer (HTML is allowed)
- Allow HTML in GEDCOM (Place HTML links to online images in notes)
- Fix buggy CONC usage (Set to YES if words in notes are run together.)
- New Method - Living Person Options:
- Living Individuals (Clean or Remove)
- Cutoff Year (currrent maximum is 1930)
- Force Cutoff
- Process Descendants as Living
- Remove Notes
- Remove Sources
- Process Events as Notes
- Other tags to treat as notes
- Tags to Remove
- Message for Living
- Individuals to Remove
- New Method - GEDCOM Download Options:
- Allow User GEDCOM Download
- Max Download Depth
- Message for Individuals in Downloaded Gedcom
- (Message is added to Notes)
- New Method - Owner Information:
- Separate Owner Info
- Owner Name
- Owner Email Address
- Notify Me about Post-ems
- New Method - Additional options:
- Manage Post-ems
- Replace Tree with New GEDCOM
- Download GEDCOM
- Take Tree Offlin
- Delete Tree
- WorldConnect FAQs
The rewards of publishing are commensurate with the
effort you put forth.
If you have questions or comments on the above please contact me at
Return to the list of classes, or the UVPAFUG
Class Outline and Summaries
Return to Gerhard and Deon's Home Page.
This page was last updated 5 Mar 2011.