The following information is taken from the May 1977 Gottlieb Mustang
manual. This may be helpful when debugging a startup problem with this or
other Gottlieb 2-player games from the same period.
1. Inserting a coin or pushing the replay button actuates 'S' relay
2. This relay will lock-in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch.
3. 'S' relay starts the motor running.
4. 'AX' relay actuates through switches on 'U' and 'S'
relays. 'Q' relay de-energize when 'AX' relay operates.
5. When 'AX' is actuated the score units and player unit reset
sequence starts. The 1st player score units reset to zero though the P3
switch stack on the player unit and motor switch 1A. When these units reach
zero the player unit steps once, the 2nd player score units reset to zero
through the P4 switch stack on the player unit and motor switch 1A. When
these units reach zero the player unit steps until P5B opens. The score
units and player unit are now reset.
6. When 'P5A' on the player unit closes, 'AX' and 'BX'
relays reset through motor 1A and motor 4C and switches on 'V', and
'R' relays. The reset cycle is now complete.
7. Inserting additional coins or pushing the replay button will actuate
'CX' relay through switches on 'U' and 'S' relays and a
switch on motor 1D. The replay button circuit opens when 'CX' relay
8. Place the ball in the out hole. The ball return switch closes and
completes the circuit to 'O' relay through the normally closed
switches on zero position 'Bonus' unit, motor 1C, motor 2B, 'Q', and
'AX' relays. 'O' relay locks-in. Through switches on motor
4C, motor 1A, 'BX' and 'O' the ball return coil actuates
kicking the ball onto the runway.
9. The remaining balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the trough
switch which pulls in 'P' relay. 'P' relay runs the motor.
Switches on 'K', 'U', motor 2C, 'P', 'BX', and
motor 1A advances the 'Player' unit the required number of steps determined
by the 'Player' unit switches and the 'CX' relay.
10. The 3-5 ball adjustment changes the number of balls played per game.
The third or fifth ball leaving the playfield will trip the 'last ball'
relay 'BX' through switches on 'K', 'U', rivets on the
player unit disc and 'O' relay.
New tips are welcome and encouraged. Tips will be credited to those who
contribute. If you would like to submit a tip click
For more information you may contact us by email, email form, or by phone at (801) 277-0888.