The following information is taken from the August 1974 Gottlieb
Magnotron manual. This may be helpful when debugging a startup
problem with this or other Gottlieb 4-player games from the same period.
1. Inserting a coin or pushing the replay button actuates 'S' relay
2. This relay will lock-in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch.
3. 'S' relay starts the motor running.
4. 'SB' relay and the total play meter are actuated by switches on
motor 1A and motor 4B through a switch that has been closed on 'S'
5. When 'SB' relay is tripped, the reset relays 'Z1' and
'Z2' are energized in sequence to reset the score units and the
'player' unit. 'Z2' opens the circuit to 'Z1' until all the
3rd and 4th player score units are reset through motor switches. When these
units are at zero 'Z2' falls out and through a normally closed switch
on 'Z2', 'Z1' is energized. 'Z1' stays energized until
all the 1st and 2nd player score units are reset through motor switches. At
the same time the 'player' unit steps up to its zero position through a
motor 1A switch in series with a switch on 'SB' and a run-off switch
on the 'player' unit (P5B).
6. The control bank is reset by a switch on motor 4C through a switch on
7. Inserting additional coins or pushing the replay button will actuate the
2nd player relay (PB2) through motor 4B switch; the 3rd player relay
(PB3) through motor 2C and PB2 switches; and the 4th player relay
(PB4) through motor 1D and PB3 switches; in that order.
8. Place the ball in the out hole. The ball return switch closes and
completes the circuit to 'O' relay through the zero position switch
on the bonus unit and 'QB'. 'O' relay locks-in through its
own switch and a switch on motor 2B. When 'O' relay is energized,
motor 4C actuates the ball return coil (which kicks the ball onto the
runway) through a switch on 'O' and a normally closed switch on
'XB'. The ball is now on the runway and is ready to be put into
9. The remaining balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the trough
switch which pulls in 'P' relay. 'P' relay runs the motor.
Switches on 'XB', 'ZB', motor 2C, 'P', and motor 1A
advances the 'Player' unit the required number of steps determined by the
'Player' unit switches and the player relays (PB2, PB3,
New tips are welcome and encouraged. Tips will be credited to those who
contribute. If you would like to submit a tip click
For more information you may contact us by email, email form, or by phone at (801) 277-0888.